[Poll] Do You Think 8 AM to 6 PM School Days Are a Good Idea?
Senator and Presidential-hopeful Kamala Harris wants to extend the school day to mirror the workday! Do you think it's a good idea?
She has sponsored a bill, which has five co-sponsors, to make the school day from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., according to EastTexasMatters.com. She explained that she believes it will help parents who have a difficult time finding childcare from 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. The average school day ends at 3 p.m.
“My mother raised my sister and me while working demanding, long hours, so, I know firsthand that, for many working parents, juggling between school schedules and work schedules is a common cause of stress and financial hardship. But, this does not have to be the case.”
The pilot program would target 500 low-income schools. Each school would receive five-year grants of up to $5 million to make the extension. The program would also allocate $1.3 billion for summer programming. The extension wouldn't cause teachers to work longer, because the additional hours would be used for extracurricular activities, such as athletics, arts, engineering and other activities.
Here are some other articles you might enjoy!
- 9 Famous People You May Not Know Are From Buffalo
- The 15 Richest Millionaires and Billionaires in New York
- The Most Infamous Mob Crime Families and Mafia Bosses in Buffalo [List]
- The First Prisoner Ever To Be Killed By The Electric Chair Was From Buffalo!
- The 6 Most Infamous Serial Killers From Buffalo and WNY! [List]