Inmate in Erie County Holding Center dies after alleged suicide [Poll]
"Bad things happen in jails because of the people who are sent to jail. We make reasonable efforts to prevent bad things from happening," Sheriff Tim Howard!
Another inmate has died in the Erie County Holding Center, according to WGRZ! Michael Girard died after an alleged suicide by hanging. Deputies say the suicide attempt happened Friday, even though they claim lifesaving efforts were made. Girard dies in the hospital on Sunday. Officials stated that Girard, who was in custody for 4 days, was seen "8 times by medical staff and seen every 15 minutes by deputies," according to WGRZ.
WGRZ asked Howard about the multiple deaths that have occurred at the holding center, saying "What's your reaction to the public perception out there that inmates constantly die at the holding center?" His reply was, "Bad things happen in jails because of the people who are sent to jail. We make reasonable efforts to prevent bad things from happening." At least 23 inmates have died in the past 9 years, since 2009, in the Holding Center, according to the Erie County Prisoners Rights Coalition. "The prison has a suicide rate that is five times the national average for similar facilities," according to the Buffalo Chronicle.
Here are some other articles you might enjoy!
- 2018 $5 Canalside Summer Concerts Series
- 2018 Summer Food and Drink Festivals in Buffalo, WNY and Canada Guide! [List]
- 2018 Spring and Summer Shows and Concerts Guide
- 9 Famous People You May Not Know Are From Buffalo
- The Most Infamous Mob Crime Families and Mafia Bosses in Buffalo [List]
- The First Prisoner Ever To Be Killed By The Electric Chair Was From Buffalo!
- The 6 Most Infamous Serial Killers From Buffalo and WNY! [List]