Huge Turkey Recalls for Jennie-O Products
With Thanksgiving coming in a couple more days, over 164 people have been sick in over 35 states according to the USA Today from a salmonella outbreak linked to raw turkey in the Jennie-O Ground Turkey products. This has to be the absolute worst time for a outbreak. The products included are below.
These are the recalled products :
- 1-lb. packages of "Jennie-O GROUND TURKEY 93% LEAN | 7% FAT" with "Use by" dates of 10/01/2018 and 10/02/2018.
- 1-lb. packages of "Jennie-O TACO SEASONED GROUND TURKEY" with a "Use by" date of 10/02/2018.
- 1-lb. packages of "Jennie-O GROUND TURKEY 85% LEAN | 15% FAT" with a "Use by" date of 10/02/2018.
- 1-lb. packages of "Jennie-O ITALIAN SEASONED GROUND TURKEY" with a "Use by" date of 10/02/2018.
CDC Health officials said
"Raw turkey products from numerous sources are contaminated, including ground turkey and turkey patties, and warned that additional products from other companies may also be recalled".
CDC released the following safety tips for preventing salmonella infection from raw turkey:
- Wash your hands before and after preparing and eating food.
- Cook raw turkey thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F. Leftovers should also be reheated to that temperature.
- Don't spread germs from raw turkey around food preparation areas.
- Thaw turkey in the refrigerator, sink or microwave. Do not thaw it by leaving it out on the counter.