Concerns About Deadly Virus Increase with Return of International Students
There is concern here in WNY about to potential spread of a deadly virus with the return of international students.
A deadly strain of coronavirus has killed 17 people in China and potentially could threaten WNY, with the return of Chinese students and staff to WNY-area schools, according to WKBW. The Chinese state media, Xinhua News Agency is reporting that a case has been confirmed in the United States, but doesn't specify where. It is also reporting that 571 new cases of coronavirus pneumonia have been confirmed as of Wednesday.
Locally, the concern has increased because of the return of the Chinese students and staff for the start of spring semester.
"The university is monitoring the coronavirus situation carefully and is taking proactive and prudent measures to ensure the health and safety of the UB community in accordance with the guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. At this time, the university is not aware of any students, faculty or staff who may have been exposed to the coronavirus. It is important for the university community to know that while the CDC considers this to be a serious public health concern, based on current information, the immediate health risk to the general American public is considered low at this time."
Here are some other articles you might enjoy!
- Top 5 Female Gangsters of New York
- 9 Famous People You May Not Know Are From Buffalo
- The 15 Richest Millionaires and Billionaires in New York
- The Most Infamous Mob Crime Families and Mafia Bosses in Buffalo [List]
- The First Prisoner Ever To Be Killed By The Electric Chair Was From Buffalo!
- The 6 Most Infamous Serial Killers From Buffalo and WNY! [List]