Earlier this year New York State created a few rental assistance programs to help renters who have fallen behind on their rent due to the negative impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. While those programs have been dedicated to helping renters directly, there are some situations where the tenant is unable, or unwilling, to apply for assistance.

93.7 WBLK logo
Get our free mobile app

Because of some of those situations, New York State Governor Kathy Hochul announced the creation of the Landlord Rental Assistance Program (LRAP).

Getting pandemic relief money out the door to New Yorkers has been a top priority for my administration since day one. I am proud that our state's rental assistance program has already provided much needed relief to tens of thousands of New Yorkers, but there are still many small landlords ineligible for that relief because of federal rules who also need our help. This funding is a critical tool to close that gap and help more New Yorkers recover from the pandemic.

The LRAP program allows landlords to submit applications for financial assistance on behalf of tenants who will not apply for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). This includes those situations where the tenant has left the property and no longer lives in the unit.

This new program addition is available for landlords to apply for effective today, Thursday, October 7, 2021, with applications available to be submitted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) Landlord Rental Assistance Program (LRAP) website.

In order to apply as a landlord, you will need the following documents available to you:

  • IRS Form W-9 for tax purposes
  • Proof of Ownership of the property in question
  • Executed lease with the tenant
    • If there is no written lease, then a canceled check, evidence of funds transfer or other documentation of residency
  • Documentation of unpaid rent due
  • Banking Information for direct deposit

You can also find a full list of the Landlord's eligibility requirements, along with the documents needed to complete an application, on the LRAP information page.

Here's Where You'll Need to Show Proof of Vaccination In WNY

9 Unique Date Ideas in Buffalo

What to Expect When Driving in a Buffalo School Zone

More From 93.7 WBLK