A new program from New York State that was started earlier this year to help residents who have fallen behind on their water and/or sewer service get caught up just got an additional boost of funds and is accepting new applications.

93.7 WBLK logo
Get our free mobile app

Back in January 2022, The New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) made the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) available to low and moderate-income households across the state to help them pay for the costs related to drinking water and sewer services.

What Does LIHWAP Cover

Residents and households who have unpaid bills and past due balances for drinking water, wastewater, and/or sewer charges can receive a potentially substantial amount of assistance to help them get caught up. The LIHWAP program can potentially pay up to $2,500 for water services, up to $2,500 for wastewater/sewer services, or up to a combined $5,000 if water and sewer services are combined on the same service bills.

Since the program premiered earlier this year in 2022, some people may have already received some benefits from the program. Officials from LIHWAP have stated that households and residents may be able to obtain a 2nd payment should the need still exist.

Do I Qualify and How To Apply?

Applications for this program are available now and can be submitted 24 hours per day right here on the LIHWAP website.

The program does have income guidelines, along with other factors that help determine if someone is eligible. Officials will need information related to the total income in the household, how many people reside in the household, plus the total amount owed for water and/or wastewater/sewer services.

The full income requirements and other guidelines can be found here on the OTDA / LIHWAP website.

However, the income guidelines seem moderate; for a family of four (4) in New York, the income limit to qualify is just over $65,000 per year.

People can apply now right here on the NYS OTDA website.. Officials state you need the following items with you to be able to complete your application:

  • Proof of identity for the primary applicant.
  • A valid Social Security Number for the primary applicant.
  • Proof of residence.
  • A drinking water, wastewater, or combined drinking water and wastewater bill listing your permanent and primary residence.
  • Documentation of income for the primary applicant.

More information about this program is on the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) website right here, or you can also call LIHWAP hotline at 1-833-690-0208 or the OTDA Hotline at 1-800-342-3009. You can also email LIHWAP here. Infomration can also be found with your local Department of Social Services website.

5 Must Have Items For Your Car In The Winter

Winter is coming to WNY, make sure you have everything you need when you are on the road.

9 Things Every Western New Yorker Needs to Survive Winter

Here's How New York State Will Spend Taxpayer Money In 2023

More From 93.7 WBLK