12 Western New York Nursing Homes Go On Strike Next Week
A group of caregivers are going on strike in Western New York.
Fueling the strike are expired union contracts and the demand for “fair wages,” according to News 4.
In total, the amount of local caregivers that you can expect to see on strike is close to 1,250. As of now, the strikes will be held during a 24-hour period between July 12-13, but that is subject to change based on the outcome of the strike.
Twelve nursing homes in Western New York will be affected by the strike, and all of these nursing homes are “for profit.”
The caregivers on strike are hoping to achieve $15/hr minimum wage for service workers, as well as higher starting wages for new hires.
One representative from the WNY Nursing Home Division called for the employers to invest in local workers in order to provide the most consistent care for nursing home residents with the highest quality.
According to News 4, one-day strikes have been planned at the following facilities:
- Autumn View Health Care Facility: 4650 Southwestern Blvd., Hamburg, N.Y. 14075
- Buffalo Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing: 1014 Delaware Ave., Buffalo, N.Y. 14209
- Elderwood at Lockport: 104 Old Niagara Rd., Lockport, N.Y. 14094
- Elderwood at Williamsville: 200 Bassett Rd., Williamsville, N.Y. 14221
- Ellicott Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing: 200 7th St., Buffalo, N.Y. 14201
- Fiddler’s Green Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center: 168 W. Main St., Springville, N.Y. 14141
- Garden Gate Health Care Facility: 2365 Union Rd., Cheektowaga, N.Y. 14227
- Gowanda Rehabilitation & Nursing Center: 100 Miller St., Gowanda, N.Y. 14070
- Humboldt House Rehabilitation & Nursing Center: 64 Hager St., Buffalo, N.Y. 14208
- Newfane Rehabilitation & Health Center: 2709 Transit Rd., Newfane, N.Y. 14108
- North Gate Health Care Facility: 7624 Nash Rd., North Tonawanda, N.Y. 14120
- Seneca Health Care Center: 2987 Seneca St., West Seneca, N.Y. 14224
Caregivers are not the only ones moving forward with strikes. Some other employees that are also fighting for contracts at the facilities listed above include Licensed Practical Nurses, Certified Nurse Assistants, housekeeping, dietary aides, maintenance workers, and more.
We will provide more details as more updates become available.