The 10 Best Camping Sites Near Western New York
The burst of summer-like temperatures over the last few days was a sure-fire reminder that summer, and camping season, are on the way in Western New York.
If you are into camping, you no doubt know of the bigger-name places like Letchworth State Park, Allegheny State Park, or a less nature-like experience at Six FLags Darien Lake Campground.
But, if you are looking for some other places to check out this season, we have put together a list of 10 camping sites for you to check out, all within a short drive from home.
1. Evergreen trails in Angelica, NY - Located on 211 acres in Allegany county, it's been called "the Southern Tier's Hidden Jewel."
2. Four Mile Creek Campground - Youngstown, NY - Located just North of Niagara Falls, Four Mile Creek State Park's campsites sit near the shores of Lake Ontario.
3. Chautauqua Gorge State Forest - Mayville, NY - A Sammler Campground, it features 8 designated camp sites located within the State Forest. All camp sites are first-come, first-serve.
4. Watkins Glen State Park - Watkins Glen, NY - One of the larger campgrounds out there, it offers 305 campsites with restrooms, hot showers, dumping stations, and firewood for sale.
5. Robert Treman State Park - Ithaca, NY - The park features 12 waterfalls, including the 115-foot Lucifer Falls, and its campground features cabins, campsites, dumping stations, picnic tables, pavilions, scenic views, and restrooms with showers.
6. Darien Lake State Park - Darien Center, NY - Not to be confused with the theme park campground, this park offers everything you could want in terms of nature. Woodlands, ravines, streams, and twelve-acre Harlow Lake are all part of the experience here. The park's campsites are equipped with electricity, and there is a beach for swimming.
7. Pope Haven Campgrounds - Randolph, NY - Located on the Amish Trail, they offer Cabin rentals, golf cart rentals, full hook-up campsites, as well as tent camping.
8. Red Oak Campgrounds - Russell, PA - Located in the Scandia Mountains of Western Pennsylvania, they feature full hookup sites, tent sites, and full-service facilities and amenities.
9. Arkwright Hills Campground - Fredonia, NY - Located in the hills of Western New York, just south of Lake Erie, they offer full hookup sites, as well as tent camping. Amenities include; a fishing pond (catch and release only please!), bathroom and shower facilities, coin-operated laundry.
10. Sugar Hill - Watkins Glen, NY - offering 19 additional primitive designated camping sites, as well as primitive sites. Do note that camping for more than three nights or in groups of ten or more requires a permit from a Forest Ranger.
Address: 3361 Tower Hill Rd, Watkins Glen, NY 14891
New York State has also put together a good resource for exploring their State Parks. You can check it out by CLICKING HERE.