Tupac’s Stepfather Mutulu Shakur Released From Prison
Update: Tupac's step-brother Mopreme tells DJ Vlad that Mutulu Shakur is "supposed to be out but he's not out yet" and that they are currently "dealing with that s**t now."
Read the original story below.
Less than a month after Jamie Hector (better known as Marlo from The Wire) was cast as Tupac Shakur's stepfather in the rapper's biopic All Eyez on Me, the man himself, Mutulu Shakur, has been released from prison after serving half of a 60 year sentence, The Journal News reports.
The news comes as a bit of a surprise to those familiar with Shakur's case, a 1981 robbery of a Brinks armored-car that left two police officers and a security guard dead. "I am disappointed the system doesn’t seem to hold people accountable for their actions," Rockland County Undersheriff Robert Van Cura said. "He was someone who was violent, responsible for death and terror for people living in the metropolitan region." The robbery took place in Rockland County, where $1.8 million was stolen from the truck at the since-rebuilt Nanuet Mall.
Shakur was released on Wednesday (Feb. 10) from a high-security facility in Victorville, California, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons' website. Shakur was sentenced in 1988 for orchestrating robberies as part of a revolutionary group known as "The Family," comprised of Black Liberation Army members and former members of the Weather Underground and other violent groups. He was sentenced to 60 years for, among other charges, operating a criminal enterprise and had been accused of participating in 12 robberies between 1976 and 1981.
That Shakur was even considered for parole has left many involved in the case disappointed. "If he committed his crime today he wouldn’t be eligible for parole," says John Hanchar, a Clarkstown police officer and nephew of one of the slain officers. "We hope and pray his remorse is true and no one else has to suffer."
See 40 Hip-Hop Albums Turning 20 in 2016