Should Halloween be moved to the last Saturday in October?
The evening of Halloween can be extremely hectic for parents. They have to get off work, then get the kids feed and then dressed for Halloween and then rush out the door to hit the trick or treat times. This could be a exhausting process for everyone including the kids. Not to even mention the next day after where everybody is slow motion from the Halloween hangover, with candy and costumes everywhere.
What if Halloween was on a Saturday, the last Saturday of the month of October. If it falls on a weekend, kids and families could trick-or-treat when it's still light out and everything could be safe.
The Halloween & Costume Association, a non-profit industry group representing Halloween costume companies, has posted a petition on Change.org asking President Donald Trump to do just that.
Sign the National Petition to Move Halloween!
It's time for a Safer, Longer, Stress-Free Celebration! Let's move Halloween to the last Saturday of October!
- 3,800 Halloween-related injuries each year. Talk to your kids about safety before they head out!
- 82% of parents don’t use high visibility aids on their costume, be sure to incorporate reflective tape, glow sticks, finger lights or light up accessories
- 63% of children don’t carry a flashlight while they are tick-or-treating. Grab a clip-on light if they don’t want to carry one!Children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car and killed on Halloween. Discuss safety, pre-plan a route, stay on side walks and use cross walks
- 65% of parents don’t discuss Halloween safety with their children. Talk with your kids and offer ways to ensure a fun and safe experience
- 70%of parents don’t accompany their children trick-or-treating. You’re never too old to trick-or-treat! Grab a costume and take advantage of some good ol' fashioned family bonding!
- 51% Of Millennials say Halloween is their favorite holiday, why cram it into 2 rushed evening weekday hours when it deserves a full day!?!
Check out the full petition here.