Hundreds of WNY Babies To Suffer Opioid Withdrawl [Poll]
Hundreds of babies in Erie County are expected to go through withdrawl!
This year has seen an increase in babies going through withdrawl from opioid addiction, according to a special report by WIVB! The doctors at Sisters Hospital say they treated as many drug addicted babies in the first seven months of this year as they had in all of 2015!
According to the NYS Department of Health, the latest statistics show the number of babies diagnosed as chemically dependent grew by 25 percent from 2012 to 2014! Senator Cathy Young, who represents the 57th district, wants hospitals to be required to test all babies born to be tested for neonatal abstinence syndrome, which are problems associated with the baby being exposed to opiates during pregnancy.
Buffalo Prenatal Perinatal Network answers a few frequently asked questions you might have if you are a new expecting mother! Their services are FREE and can provide you with resources to help you have healthy baby!
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Do we have to pay for your services? Service is free
2. Can I wash my hair after I have the baby? Yes
3. What’s the safest position to put the baby to sleep? On their back with nothing in the crib
4. How do I care for the umbilical cord? Air dry
5. Is breastfeeding painful? It should not be painful. If it is, they may not be latching on correctly
6. If I breastfeed should I do it on demand or on a schedule? On demand
7. When can I introduce cereal in the baby’s bottle? At 4 months
Buffalo Prenatal-Perinatal Network, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization that has been in operation for 26 years. The overall mission of the organization is to coordinate and collaborate with key stakeholders in Erie County/City of Buffalo, to increase access to and utilization of preconception, prenatal, perinatal and postpartum health care services in the community. The agency and its programs work within the community to help identify problems of adequacy, acceptability and accessibility in the delivery of these services, especially to those who are in high-need; to seek support for implementation of programs/services that help attain the agency mission; promote coordination between service providers who serve similar consumers/clients; and to provide informational and educational activities for providers and consumers, to help enable improved birth outcomes for the targeted population.
Visit their website at BPPN.org for more info!
Here are some other articles you might enjoy!
- The Most Infamous Mob Crime Families and Mafia Bosses in Buffalo [List]
- The First Prisoner Ever To Be Killed By The Electric Chair Was From Buffalo!
- The 6 Most Infamous Serial Killers From Buffalo and WNY! [List]