Community: Calendar of Juneteenth Sankofa Days Events
The 42nd Anniversary Juneteenth Festival of Buffalo is gearing up for June 17 and 18. Leading up to the Juneteenth Festival weekend, there be Sankofa Days events. Get the details here!
Sankofa means "to go back and get". Juneteenth uses this time to reflect on issues that affect the community.
June 9 - Friday
* Noon - The Flag Raising Ceremony: Location: Niagara Square (front of Buffalo City Hall). The Liberation Flag will be raised.
* 1PM - Art Exhibit & Reception, meet and greet with Warrior King @ 515 Main Street.
* 7PM - Free Fred Brown presented by Ujima Theatre 350 Masten Avenue.
June 10 - Saturday
* 10AM to 2:30PM - Cultivating Classes Youth Workshops in Science poetry, Music and Dance @ Buffalo Public School #74, 126 Donaldson Road.
* 3:30PM to 7PM - "Git On Da Bus" Juneteenth Festival Headquarters - 1517 Genesee Street - Meet at 3:30 p.m., Bus leaves at 4:00 p.m., returns 7:00 p.m. A journey to many important sites in the city with storytelling at each site. Sponsored by: The Tradition Keepers.
* 7PM - Joko Benah - My Child + Your Child = Your children stage performance/fundraiser @ Buffalo Public School #74.
* 7PM - "Free Fred Brown" presented by Ujima Company Inc, @ Paul Roberson Theatre, 350 Masten Avenue.
June 11 - Sunday
* Block Party and concert "Between A Rock & Hard Place" featuring reggae artist Warrior King - live music, food, giveaways, carpenters Union, at 143 Broadway Avenue.
* 4PM - "Free Fred Brown" presented by Ujima Company Inc. at the Paul Robeson Theatre, 350 Masten Avenue.
June 12 - Monday
* 6PM to 8PM - African Consciousness Workshop - Frank A. Meriwether Library - Jefferson Avenue - Focus on 21st Century Africa.
Credit: Juneteenth Of Buffalo via Youtube
June 13 - Tuesday
* 6PM to 8PM - Getting Well Soon (mentally, physically, spiritually, and financially)- at the Main Street Gallery - 515 Main Street with Key Bank, the Black Social Workers of WNY, and the African American Heritage Co-Op.
June 14 - Wednesday
* 6PM to 8PM - Mortgage Seminar presented by Key Bank @ Lincoln Memorial United Methodist Church 641 Masten Avenue.
June 15 - Thursday
* 6PM to 8PM - Conscious Café Poetry Spoken Word open Mic at the Em Tea Cup 80 Oakgrove Avenue. Tribute to Smoothe Lonnie B aka Love Doctor.
June 16 - Friday
* 6PM to 8PM - Praise and Worship in Martin Luther King Jr. Park (Best and Fillmore near MLK Jr. Bust) w/ Sister Anita Williams. Sponsored by Key Bank.
Get Ready for the 42nd Anniversary Juneteeth Festival: