Attempt To Thaw Frozen Pipes Starts Apartment Fire [VIDEO]
In these subzero temperatures, it's common for pipes to freeze up. But what's worst than not having running water; setting your home on fire! Watch this and see how NOT to thaw your frozen pipes.
According to my friends at Ch. 2, a fire broke out Monday night at an apartment complex near Kenmore Avenue near Byron Avenue in the Town of Tonawanda after maintenance workers used a blowtorch to heat up frozen pipes.
The fire grew through the basement wall and rose up to the first floor. Four residents were evacuated, but thankfully none of them were injured!
The Fire Chief says a hairdryer is the safest way to thaw pipes, but never an open flame!
I suggest being proactive and run the water both hot and cold through every faucet of your house atleast once every day until we reach above freezing temps.